Thursday 15 November 2012

A loving brother's appeal


Dear Friend,

My 19-year-old sister needs angels like you to help her fight the battle of her life.

In June of this year, my only sister, Myla, was diagnosed with stage 3 to 4 lymphoma cancer, which attacks the body’s lymph nodes and rapidly spreads the cancer through the bloodstream. A CT scan has revealed cancerous tumors in her lungs, all the way down to her lower abdomen.

A cum laude candidate for her BA Business Management at the Dominican College in Manila and an active youth leader, Myla has since stopped going to school and has been undergoing 12 chemotherapy sessions. She will soon start radiotherapy to kill malignant cells in her body.

The average post-diagnosis survival term for a lymphoma cancer patient is two years. But my sister, a spirited young woman with a passion for life, is determined to beat the odds. Despite her condition, she has remained the vibrant, outgoing, extremely positive and uplifting person she has been throughout her young life.

I would like to appeal to your generous spirit in giving Myla the hope, encouragement and material support she needs to fight this uphill battle.  My sister has just undergone her fifth chemotherapy session and has seven sessions more scheduled. Myla greatly needs benefactors like you to help cover her medical expenses, which have been adding up since her cancer diagnosis.

I have been working doubly hard as a freelance photographer in London to finance my sister’s medical expenses and to support my family in Manila. My mother has stopped working to take care of my sister and my father’s income as a tricycle driver is hardly enough to meet living, let alone, medical expenses.
My sister’s battle has become my battle. It is my greatest hope in life to give this absolutely beautiful young woman a chance to live out her dreams and to continue touching people with her warm spirit and luminous presence.

Living in London the past three years, I myself have dedicated my life to serving the Filipino community here, as a photographer and radio host, lending my humble talents to our growing community’s projects and events in the UK. I make this appeal on behalf of my sister in the same spirit of solidarity and community that has made me welcome and lovingly embraced here.

Any amount you can share with Myla would be a great encouragement to her and to our family. Your kindness and generosity would forever be appreciated and remembered by me, my parents and siblings, and, of course, by our beautiful Myla.

For more updates and information about Myla’s battle against lymphoma cancer please log on to our website and help support our cause by liking her Facebook page : www.mysistersbattleismybattle.com

Thank you very much.

Elijah Paul Villanueva

No comments:

Post a Comment